Friday, December 3, 2010

Reassigned to Ecuador, South America

Wow, what a crazy week it has been. As most of you know, the PC Guinea program has been canceled and I have been reassigned to Ecuador, South America... all in less than 24 hours! Although I am sad that PC Guinea was canceled, as I have met many friends and have done lots of research on the culture and history of Guinea in order to be prepared for departure on Jan. 13th., I am grateful that the Peace Corps looks out for the safety of its volunteers. HIGH FIVE PC! BUT, I can say that I am totally psyched about my new placement and program!! Central/South America was my very first region of choice on my application so I could utilize my Spanish!

I will now be a part of the Natural Resources Conservation (NRC) program as a Business Advisor down in Ecuador departing February 2, 2011. There are 3 goals of the NRC program:
1. Environmental Education,
2. Natural Resource Management,
3. Environmentally Friendly Businesses.
I will be working mainly on goal #3. Some of my job activities could include: ecotourism, sustainable harvest of timber and no-timber products, value-added agricultural products, raising and sale of selected terrestrial and aquatic fauna species, development of beauty/cosmetics products, handicrafts, organic foods, plants, beekeeping products. Some of my business practices could include: accounting, marketing, inventory, community banks, web development, feasibility/market studios, leadership, computer literacy, and IT management.

Some of my major tasks could be:
- Identify local organizations, women's groups, youth groups, or individuals that may be interested in implementing income-generating activities related to the conservation of natural resources.
- Conduct feasibility and market studios of appropriate products or services
- Develop and implement business training model
- Teach basic accounting principles and techniques/bookkeeping skills
- Improve knowledge and access to formal and non-formal credit sources
- Implement computer literacy programs related to business management
- Establish community banks
- Develop business and marketing plans
- Monitor and evaluate projects

How sweet does all that sound?!?! That's just a quick overview of what I could/will be doing in PC Ecuador.

To conclude, I will leave you with this website link where you can read (if you are interested) the 47 page "Ecuador Welcome Book." It has everything in it... Volunteers core expectations, a country overview, volunteer living conditions and lifestyle, health and safety, cross-cultural issues, FAQs, welcome letters from current volunteers, a packing list, and much much more!

Ecuador Welcome Book: http://www.peacecorps.gov/welcomebooks/ecwb518.pdf

Much love,
Heather

If you have and questions or want me to write about something specific please feel free to comment, email me, or send me a Facebook message! I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment