Monday, March 14, 2011

Slept in, FINALLY! :-)

3.6.11
Last night was the first night I slept well in a week. I slept for 11 straight (for the most part) hours. It was so refreshing!! I didn’t do much in the morning. I updated my blog, did my dirty laundry from tech trip, and organized my room a bit. I keep my room here clean and I make my bed every day, something I never did in the States. Ha.
My family came over for Ceviches for lunch. Ceviches is a typical dish eaten on the coast here in Ecuador. It’s a seafood dish. There are a ton of kinds, but we had shrimp ceviches and clam ceviches. I knew for the beginning I probably wasn’t going to like it because there is a lot of cilantro in the dish, and I do NOT like cilantro. (They put cilantro on everything here L) But I tried a little of it, they mixed the two together. The clam one was a black color and the shrimp one was an orangish color. I tried it. Didn’t like it, ew. The long, black clams grossed me out. So I ate the pieces of shrimp out of it and pushed it away. So I ate a plate of white rice instead. Haha.
My family decided to go to the Metropolitan Park in Quito. We were there for like 10 minutes and then left because it was nasty and rainy. So we went to get ice cream at the Quicentro Mall. They have the best ice cream there! That was my second time having it. I got a scoop of brownie ice cream and chocolate. I wanted strawberry instead of chocolate, but they were out. Whatever, it was still delicious.
When we arrived back to the house everyone sat around the table, chatted and ate the rest of the ceviches, blah! Haha. Then they talked about where they wanted to go tomorrow for another day trip. They decided on a city that I can’t remember the name of at the moment, but it’s about 45 minutes past Otavalo where we were a couple weekend ago. I felt back because I couldn’t go to the coast or the oriente (jungle) because I didn’t take my malaria meds. But in my defense I had no idea they wanted to go there this weekend. We talked about going to the beach for Carnaval a couple weeks ago, but it was never set in stone so I didn’t start taking my malaria meds. I didn’t want to take them for no reason.
My host sister knew I hadn’t talked to my family or boyfriend since I’d been back from Tech Trip so she asked me if I wanted to come to her house and use it and then just spend the night. She is so sweet. So I took her up on the offer. I packed some clothes then off we went. I got to talk Skype my parents, Josh, and chat with my sister for a short bit! It was nice to let them all know I was alive and well.
Heather

1 comment:

  1. I'm there with you on the cilantro :) some of the families I've lived with made ceviche (and other meals) without cilantro (and they would add their own to their plates).

    There's an "italian" ice cream shop around the corner from Quicentros. So creamy.

    oh...and I'm a friend of Christina's and found your blog from hers...

    tengas un buen dia!

    ReplyDelete