Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The sun receives it's first point

5.18.11 
Soooooooooo…. I laid out in the sun on Sunday…. And got a little burnt. Okay I lied, A LOT burnt! The sun wins this time.

Sooooooo I laid out in the beautiful sun on Sunday and got a little burnt(okay, a LOT burnt). I laid out for 2 hours. Every time I've laid out here in Cuenca, I've laid out for this long.... but this time I got FRIED, like an egg. I was beat red after I got out of the shower Sunday afternoon, I didn't feel like I was burning when I was laying out and I put sunscreen on TWICE even. The only difference I can think of is that I normally lay out in the afternoon, but this time I laid out in the morning from like 1030-1230. I have no idea what happened, but I'm a lobster, and it hurts like hell.

After I was showered my host family and I went to the store to buy a piece of an aloe plant so I could bathe myself in that! And then later in the evening my host mom made me some home remedies for sunburns... beaten egg whites to put all over my burns (to take away the soreness) and shredded carrots to put on my face (to take the redness out). I beat the egg whites until they were foam and she shredded the carrots. I was directed to put the egg whites on the burns on my body and sleep with the stuff on overnight and to put the shredded carrots on my face, but to take them off after a few minutes. So I went into my room and went to town with a spoon spreading egg whites all over the burn. I let them dry a little bit and then laid down and put the carrots on my face for like 15 minutes then took them off. I had an orange tinted face afterwards, haha.

And OMGGGGGG when I got up off my bed after I took the carrots off I thought I was going to die!!! The egg whites had completely dried and when I moved I felt like my skin was ripping off. My main burns were my face, eyelids, neck, armpits, upper tummy, and upper thighs. I did little as possible so I didn't have to move.

Sleeping was MISERABLE, the egg whites were dried to my skin, they were flaking, so I was sleeping in "crumbs" AND my skin felt like it was tearing off. I got up at 730 and jumped in the shower to rinse the egg whites off.... I couldn't take it anymore. OH, and did I mention my eyelids were sooo freaking swollen this morning that I put bags of ice on them for 20 minutes after the shower and took some ib profen. That helped the swelling some!

BTW, the carrots and the eggs whites worked!!!! (surprisingly!) My face was less red this morning and my sunburn didn't hurt as bad as it should of. So thankfully, I am not in that much pain. Don't get me wrong, my armpits and eyelids hurt, but def not as bad as they should. The eyelids are the worst part, those hurt the worst.

And here is the evidence that this actually occured:
Burnt and sad before the pain started!
Taking a picture of the nice red burn line on my neck
 
 Shredded carrots on my face! You can also see some of the egg whites.
 After math of the shredded carrots...an orange face!
 Dried egg whites all over my stomach
  Burnt Icing my swollen eyelids on Monday morning. I put my pajama
pants over my face before the ice so my eyelids wouldn't freeze!
 Swollen ugly face! Que fea! I took this picture after
 I iced my eyelids Monday morning. (with a grin on my face because
I felt so weird taking pics of myself I couldn't stop laughing)


UPDATES:
It’s Monday night and my eyelids hurt pretty bad to the touch, so I put a rag soaked in nasty white vinegar on my face for 20 minutes… it’s supposed to help with the with the soreness.

It’s Tuesday morning, and my pain is worse than yesterday, go figure, but the redness is wayyyy down and my eyelids hurt way less! My eyelids were swollen still so I put ice them for 20 minutes. (the swelling in my eyelids goes away during the day)

It’s now Tuesday afternoon and the pain is WAY down! And my eyelids don’t hurt anymore. My upper stomach hurts a little bit, but not bad at all.

Wednesday morning:  face and eyelids looked normal this morning, but my face is beginning to peel, ughhhh. Thank goodness I dodged the blistering stage since I took action right away, but I don’t think I can avoid the peeling. I have been soaking myself in lotion like 3 times a day trying to avoid this, but I think the peeling is inevitable.

Here's the score so far: The Sun:1, Heather: 4

At least I got a good base tan going... Rainy season looks like it’s coming to an end, and yes, I do plan to lie out again once I’m totally heeled J

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment