Sunday, February 20, 2011

Otavalo!

2.20.11 Otavalo, Baby!
***This post has a link with pictures at the bottom!!!***
Oh where to start…. Today was definitely the best day I’ve had in Ecuador yet!!! My family took me to Otavalo, the largest market in Ecuador! But on the way we pit stopped at the Equator!!!! So freaking awesome! I took lots of pics! Then we pit stopped at the San Pablo lake lookout. There I took pictures of the lake from the mountains, but that wasn’t the best part…. There was a llama there, I’m guessing it was the store/land owners pet. My mom was petting it so I took a picture of her, then my host brother in law went to stand by it to get a pic with it and it SPIT grass on him, it was hilarious!! That stupid thing looked right at him and spit the grass right out of his mouth onto him. It was really funny. Then they wanted me to get in a picture with the llama. I said no, but they insisted. So I tiptoed over to it and what do you know, that darn this spit on me as well. Again, it was hysterical! We were all laughing really hard!
We then moved on… I thought we were then heading to Otavalo, but we stopped at a waterfall! Cascada de Peguche to be exact! It was sooo beautiful! It was packed… with locals, tourists, and people who were there to bathe themselves. Before getting back into the car we all shared a large beer. It was my first couple drinks of beer I’ve had since being in Ecuador. We had Pilsener, it was pretty good!
We then drove to have lunch at Fritado, which mean fried pig. The place was huge and we got family style food. The meat was delicious, it looked like chunks of pork, but tasted wayyyy better!
I thought we were going to the actual Otavalo market, but we just went to where the stores were. But it was still really fun. My 2 host sisters were trying on lots of clothes. They each bought a couple of things. They said they like to shop in Otavalo because the clothing there is much cheaper than Tumbaco and Quito. I didn’t get anything L I really like this cardigan sweater for $10, but I didn’t get it. I have to pick and choose what I want to spend my small earnings on!
On the way home we stopped for bizcoches. Bizcoches are a traditional food in Quinche (I think that is where it was, but I’m not positive!). It is hot chocolate with a shortbread like cookie and cheese. You dip your shortbread like cookie into the hot chocolate, it’s sooo delicious!
And that was my Sunday! It was a blast! I took tons of photos!! The link is below!
Heather
Pictures of The Equator, Peguche, and lunch!:

1 comment:

  1. biscocho is huge in Cayambe, Quinche is nearby. You should try it with dulce de leche! super yum!

    by the way, I ran into your blog after reading Christina's...we went to high school together.

    ReplyDelete